Winter's here, but there's still so much to do on a winter vacation, whether it's for a week, weekend, or just a day!
Tourists are mostly absent-- which means so are the crowds-- so it's the perfect time to get out and see what makes Virginia such a great place to visit...and live.
Here's a comprehensive guide to fun & festivities for the whole family during winter in Virginia:
1) See a whale! December to March is prime whale-watching season in Virginia Beach. You'll see rare fin and humpback varieties, which can get up to 85 feet long and weigh 70 tons.
And you can either see them on two to four-hour tours, or by taking advantage of a great hotel package deal which combines accommodations, whale-watching, and a visit to the Virginia Aquarium. For details, go to my Whale Watching page.
2) Visit an indoor Water Park. That way you can enjoy an adventure the whole family will enjoy, while staying nice and toasty in a setting that's 84 degrees all year long. Consider these wonderful family spots:
- Great Wolf Lodge Williamsburg - Our Favorite Indoor Water park - Check out my review plus tips for ways to save at the park and keep the kids occupied for hours.
- Massanutten Resort - From Snow Sports to an Indoor Water park - another great water park, this one in the Blue Ridge Mountains.
3) Take the Polar Plunge or participate in another area event!
The Polar Plunge is your chance to check out frigid water temps and raise money for the special Olympics, while Restaurant Week allows you to dine like a king at top Virginia Beach restaurants for less.
4) Visit a museum - avoid the crowds by visiting off-season! Plus, most of them are inside where it's warm...
Check out my favorite museums and attractions!
5) Shop Til' You Drop! Winter is the perfect time to find great off-season bargains at these Virginia area shopping meccas!
5) Line up Discount Tickets for the Upcoming Season! Opening season for Busch Gardens Williamsburg, Kings Dominion, and Water Country USA are just a few months away, but it's not too early to find discount tickets to save you money on season passes.
Virginia Beach Family Fun
Winter Vacation Ideas