Winter's here, but there's still so much to do on a winter vacation, whether it's for a week, weekend, or just a day!
Tourists are mostly absent-- which means so are the crowds-- so it's the perfect time to get out and see what makes Virginia such a great place to visit...and live.
Here's a comprehensive guide to fun & festivities for the whole family during winter in Virginia:
1) See a whale! December to March is prime whale-watching season in Virginia Beach. You'll see rare fin and humpback varieties, which can get up to 85 feet long and weigh 70 tons.
And you can either see them on two to four-hour tours, or by taking advantage of a great hotel package deal which combines accommodations, whale-watching, and a visit to the Virginia Aquarium. For details, go to my Whale Watching page.
2) Visit an indoor Water Park. That way you can enjoy an adventure the whole family will enjoy, while staying nice and toasty in a setting that's 84 degrees all year long. Consider these wonderful family spots:
- Great Wolf Lodge Williamsburg - Our Favorite Indoor Water park - Check out my review plus tips for ways to save at the park and keep the kids occupied for hours.
- Massanutten Resort - From Snow Sports to an Indoor Water park - another great water park, this one in the Blue Ridge Mountains.
3) Take the Polar Plunge or participate in another area event!
The Polar Plunge is your chance to check out frigid water temps and raise money for the special Olympics, while Restaurant Week allows you to dine like a king at top Virginia Beach restaurants for less.
4) Visit a museum - avoid the crowds by visiting off-season! Plus, most of them are inside where it's warm...
Check out my favorite museums and attractions!
5) Shop Til' You Drop! Winter is the perfect time to find great off-season bargains at these Virginia area shopping meccas!
5) Line up Discount Tickets for the Upcoming Season! Opening season for Busch Gardens Williamsburg, Kings Dominion, and Water Country USA are just a few months away, but it's not too early to find discount tickets to save you money on season passes.
Virginia Beach Family Fun
Winter Vacation Ideas
Jul 20, 14 09:40 PM
After flying to 40 countries I thought I'd learned it all about air travel. But as I sat on the plane last night returning from a trip to the West coast I suddenly realized three things I'll do next time I fly.
1) Bring bleach wipes: Yep, I'd brought Wet Wipes to clean off my seat area, having learned long ago that airplane seat armrests, tray tables, and seat pockets are teeming with bacteria. But after all the funky germs we keep hearing about in the news (e.g., MRSA) and sitting there thinking how many people had probably touched that seat area since the last good scrubbing, I wish I'd brought bleach wipes. Next time.
2) Bring a little vial of "odor protector": Can't believe this has never happened to me before, but the guy next to me absolutely reeked of mold, having obviously left his clothes in the washing machine for a week. How'd you like to sit next to that for five hours? My sister-in-law likes to travel with a dab of peppermint oil or a little Vicks Vapor rub under her nose when she flies. Now I know why. So next time, I'm bringing a little vial of my favorite perfume as a little odor defense if I need it.
3) Fly Virgin: One word comes to mind after flying Virgin America for the first time. "Wow." Just "wow." They make flying fun again! Everything, from the music they play at check-in, to the friendly staff and flight attendants (who all seem to love their jobs compared to staff on other airlines who often seem basically fed-up and sometimes curt) to their hilarious and brilliant safety video, to the fact that my luggage was waiting for me in Baggage Check BEFORE I even got down there, they made me a Virgin believer!
Jul 01, 14 03:36 PM
Just four days left until July 4th-- do you have your fireworks show planned yet?
On my Fourth of July Fireworks page, I'll tell you about a number of festive ways to spend your Independence Day, including fireworks shows at Colonial Williamsburg, Hampton, Virginia Beach, Yorktown, Monticello, and more.
Jul 01, 14 02:51 PM